Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Juni the Toddler goes to School

Last night I tucked Juni into bed and he fell immediately asleep. I, on the other hand, didn't turn off the light until after 1 a.m. He wasn't nervous about meeting new kids, listening to new rules from new teachers,  a new classroom with new expectations, or having his bus moved from the green light on the blackboard to the yellow or (gasp) the red.
Juni didn't have those wasps in his tummy or racing thoughts in his mind. He felt sad that his best friend wouldn't be in his class, but the thought of legos in the classroom hushed that hesitation.
Juni felt no anxiety over beginning preschool. It was me.
I don't think I went to preschool. If I did, I don't remember. I do, however, remember my first day of kindergarten. The Sesame Street toy. Nap time. Play time. Letter time. I remember hiding on the school bus, because I didn't want to go home. I wanted to go back to school. I remember my mom's face after she'd chased the bus back to the school, sick and frazzled with worry about her missing daughter, who was comfortably wedged beneath the seat along with old gummy bears and snack packs.
I loved school. Hopefully, my son will take after me and love school too. Today he would act excited one moment and nervous the next. I was the last mommy to leave the room, but he didn't cry. Hopefully, as I type, Juni is sitting next to his new best friend. Hopefully, Juni is learning that he likes school. Hopefully, Juni is learning that Mommy's anxiety about change doesn't have to transfer to him.
Here's the poem his teacher handed me as I rushed out the door, both happy and sad.

The First Day
I gave you a little wink and smile as you entered my room today. For I know how hard it is to leave, and know your child must stay.
You've been with him for three years now and have been a loving guide, but now, alas, the time has come to leave him at my side.
Just know that as you drive away, and tears down your cheeks may flow; I'll love him as I would my own, and help him learn and grown. For as a parent, I too know, how quickly the years do pass; and that one day soon it will be my turn to take my child to class.
So please put your mind at east and cry those tears no more. For I will love him and take him in when you leave him at my door.

No comments:

Post a Comment