Friday, September 24, 2010

Just like my Mom

My mom rocks. She's the best mother I know,and my parenting hero. She embodies PTA. Was the star parent in every classroom, cooked every night, built the best indoor forts, threw the best birthdays and had carted our friends around. She was SuperMom. I strive, everyday, to strive to her example. With one exception.

I was young...maybe six or eight. We were walking back from feeding the horses at the barn in the pitch black night. "Mom, look! And owl!" "No, Frances. That isn't an owl. It's too big. It's just part of the tree, honey." "No, mom...I think it's an owl. It even has horns!" "No, that's not an....ahhhhhhHh!"
It was in fact an owl. A very large, horned owl. And it was flying straight toward me.
I use the word me purposefully, because my SuperMom literally ran me over in the gravel driveway to get to safety. She ran over her daughter. And I've never let her live it down.

Thankfully, I have a 50/50 chance of Juni not remembering me trampling his Monday afternoon in the park. We were walking in the woods with Juni's friend Kyle and his mom Grace. Of course we were all totally unprepared, wearing shorts and flipflop. So when I stepped on an unsuspecting green snake, he proceeded to wrap his slimy, slithery body around my ankle.
And that was it. I was out. I squealed, and the next thing I knew, Grace cam hobbling out of the woods balancing a boy on each hip.
"Did you see the snake, Juni?" I asked. Grace laughed and said "I'm thinking no. The only thing that kid saw was the dust from your flipflops. You left him so fast he had no idea what was happening!"

History once again repeated itself. I ran over my child. Hopefully, history will again repeat itself, and Juni will think of me the way I think of my mom...SuperMom.

No comments:

Post a Comment