Sunday, April 18, 2010

Juni's Scar

Juni visited the childrens' hospital emergency room for the first time. He'd wanted to "start and fight and play rough" with Mommy, but I'd decided that was not a good idea. He's been stranded in our home for three days because of the storm, and had entirely too much energy to play rough with me.
I startled him when I said no, he fell back, and hit his eyelid on the wooden steps. I scooped him up, said everything was okay, and then started to give the ceremonial kiss.
And that's when I saw it. Blood. A lot of blood. My head spinned, my vision blurred, and I yelled for Jasen to come get Juni before we both hit the floor. I take after my mother in that I do not deal well with blood. After the rush of adrenaline leaves, I hit the floor.
Mixing blood with tears means there was blood down Juni's chest, on the kitchen counter, on Jasen, and on me. After an afternoon a the hospital, the doctor decided to tape the one-inch gash.
I was exhausted. And it was still storming outside. So Jasen drove the car to the front. I opened the door, and turned to put Juni in his car seat. That's when, true to form, the wind gushed and the door crashed into my poor toddler's head.
I couldn't believe I'd single-handily injured my son twice in one afternoon. But poor Juni, he shed a few tears while I latched his straps, and then slapped a Thanksgiving sticker on my hand and rubbed my arm.
"Here's my ticker, mommy. You need dis. You're a good Mommy. I lub you. I get a double hamburger wif cheese?"
At that point, I would have given my little man absolutely anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment