Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Damn you, you Sneaky Little Shark

The three of us spent the rest of the vacation on the beach. We decided to drive onto the beach at one point. It rocked. I will never again pay that ridiculous premium price for oceanfront. Our next house will be sound front, all the way.
We fished, we boogie-boarded, we ran from jellyfish, I searched for a shark's tooth to no avail. At one point, Jasen looks at me and says "Seriously, babe, what would you be doing all day if you didn't have shark's teeth to look for?"
I've searched for 32 years for a shark's tooth, and have never found a single one. It's turning into an obsession, really. At this point, the odds of me coming across a shark's tooth are slim to none. And yet I will still gleefully spend hours with my butt in the hair, all the blood rushing to my head, and my eyes going fuzzy staring at millions of rocks and shell pieces.
I ran up and down the beach pulling Juni on his boogie board until he caught a wave. Jasen caught no fish, of course, and drank a few beers. It was a wonderful day. Both of us, I think, realized the benefit in the European vacation mindset. We need to decompress and relax at some point. If we keep going like a machine, that machine will inevitably break.
But after five days I missed Sadie, my bed, and my house. We packed up our bags, the 12 bags of groceries I knew we'd never eat, and headed home. The vacation was wonderful. It was the first time the three of us got away from the stress. It was the first time we got away from a routine. And it was the first time we didn't try to kill each other for 5 whole days. Until the ride home...

No comments:

Post a Comment