Monday, June 14, 2010

To the Beach to the Beach to the Beach Beach Beach

Juni and I sing all day. We sing about going to the beach, hence the title.
After practicing gluttony during breakfast we worked on laziness for a few hours, watching Juni and Evie play in the living room. The two of them are hilarious. Juni tries to tell her not to do, Evie responds by shouting "No!"
Juni takes a toy, Evie pinches his skin and shouts "No!"
Then Juni takes all of the pillows off of the couch, CeCe makes a tent and Evie shrieks in giggles, flaps her arms like a bird and spins in circles.
I packed up 52 pounds of crap to lug over the ginormous dune in the back yard and rounded up the troops for the beach.
We suffocated ourselves in spray sunscreen. Jasen learned that yes, he should spray his chest because yes, sun rays do burn through hair, and we played with the kids all day. Jamie really took the brunt of the beach duty, digging holes for Juni on command and toting Evie between our spot and the shore.
Jasen tent idea was good in theory, a disaster in reality. The wind ripped through it like God only knows what and sent the fabric and poles inverted and threatening to tumble down the beach taking out clueless sunfried bodies.
So we trashed the tent and baked. After a few hours of digging and running and splashing we headed back to the house for a swim in the pool and hot dogs on the grill.
You'd think we would have passed out on the couches, but decided to suck it up and drive to Ocracoke, which includes a ferry trip.
It probably would have been a good idea to tell Jasen about my irrational fear of ferry boats before our car was packed like a sardine, but I, true to form of having the worst timing in the world, waited until we were indeed packed like sardines to explain why I was planning my escape and rescue of Juni and Evie.
In my mind a ferry boat is a death trap. I picture the boat going down and the cars becoming pinballs. People that don't get crushed by a stray car get yanked down with the wreckage. Game over. End of story. So my plan was to say close to the kids in case of disaster. When the captain came on the loudspeaker and explained we were all destined to rot at the bottom of the sound, I would insist we all jumped ship before getting hit or pulled under. So as I was standing on the ferry, admiring the view, I had to remind myself not to jump.
I know. Irrational.
Of course we didn't sink, nor did I jump. But I did get sea sick. Fun times until the boat rocked the wrong way and my hot dog threatened to come back for an encore.
We spent the rest of the afternoon with Jasen and Jamie getting us lost on the island while driving a golf cart. Juni sat in the middle and navigated, and Evie split her time between perching on Jamie's lap and trying to throw herself off of the back of the golf cart, and playing peek-a-boo with bike riders. Classic Norge/Jarvis fun.
We phoned a friend to find the best places to eat on the way home. As luck would have it, the kids were still awake when we reached destination No. 1, which was closed.
The Mad Crabber was 30 minutes further. We woke the kids up and had dinner. Juni also had his first liquor drink. I'm talking and laughing with the adults when I hear a straw slurp. Before Juni got his drink.
""Um...Juni? Did you just drink mommy's drink?" "Um...yeah. I sorry, Mommy. I just wanted a taste it." "It's okay, honey. We're on vacation. But how you feelin, alky?" "Good. Mommy. you wanna play pool?"
Excellent. My son has learned the proper bar etiquette of drinks and pool.
Juni fell asleep on the way to the house. Evie screamed at CeCe for 10 minutes before pooping out. Day 2 goes down as a success. The only thing missing was, big surprise, a bath for Juni. The vacation smell was beginning to remind me of Sunsucks at this point, but whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment