Sunday, June 13, 2010

Oh, Breakwater, How I Love Thee

Let me just say our new digs were s.w.e.e.t. Seriously. Five bedrooms, all with multiple pillows and extra blankets. Big, plush couches that I could lounge on. Real glasses and plates. A television that was bigger than Juni's portable DVD player. A private pool. A hot tub. A double jacuzzi tub.
The thermostat read 86 degrees inside the house, but it didn't smell like dead rodent. It smelled like the beach.
I called CeCe. This place rocked. And it had extra bedrooms. Time to get the Jarvis family to take a road trip to Rodanthe!
The only problem with having CeCe, Jamie and Evie coming to the house was that I told Juni too early. Three hours too early. Think of the bit about "are we there yet" and insert "are they here yet? When they gonna be here, mommy? Evie here yet?"

It was awesome. Jasen drank too much jungle juice and tipped over the La-Z-Boy. Juni and I laughed and took pictures.
Juni dumped out his self-packed suitcase of toys and built a train track. I didn't have to spend my time searching for ways to cover couches with blankets and mask hideous smells. It was lovely.
CeCe, Jamie and Evie arrived about 8:30 p.m. Right about The kids' bedtimes. But Juni had other plans. I'd mentioned something about fishing earlier, and that's what stuck in his head. And I figured we were on vacation, so no worries.
We made it to the Rodanthe Pier at 9:30 p.m. Thirty dollars and one hour later and Juni was asleep on Jasen's lap as he fished off of a wooden bench. No one caught any fish but it was wonderful.
The wind in m face, the smell of the ocean, the lights of the other houses on shore. It was magical. I toted Juni back to the 4Runner and headed to the house for a bath in my tub for ten. The only thing missing from this day was a bath for Juni. But I chalked that up to vacation smell, tucked him into his bottom bunk, and passed out beside Jasen.
We all slept like rocks and woke up to the smell of Jasen and Jamie cooking bacon, eggs and serving fresh coffee, orange juice and donuts. Yep. Breakwater rocks my world. Day One goes down as a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment