Thursday, November 11, 2010

Body Comparisons, Juni Style

I laughed until I almost wet my pants today. Here's why: Juni's best friend came over today while his mom was at work, since school was closed. The boys absolutely love each other. They played at the swings and in the sand pile. They created a bird's nest out of leaves, sticks, acorns and mud, and then used even more mud to glue it to the back porch handrail (thank you for that, PBS) They took the dog for a "walk" and visited what they call Mud World. Mud World is really just the ditch behind out house. But believe me, the name fits.
The two mud daubers trotted up to the back door and stood in my kitchen, dripping with deep, dark, gray goo. They were stripping off their clothes with grimy hands, and laughing hysterically. Completely naked, covered in mud, and laughing.
I grew up behind a borrow pit, which is basically one giant mud hole. I couldn't get mad at them, but I also couldn't hose them down, either. All I could do was laugh.
I put clean socks on one, and carried the other straight upstairs to the bathroom. The second the water began filling the tub, it turned brown.
While the tub filled, Juni's best friend's mom showed up to take him home, and we searched for Sadie, who apparently still had her leash attached. It's unlike her to not come when called. But I found her, drenched in mud, pouting in the front yard, still attached to her once hot-pink but now completely muddies leash. Poor little pooch. As a side note, I have no idea how she managed it, but she came inside later that night, completely clean, dry, and smelling nothing like mud. Amazing.
When us mommies returned upstairs we found the boys, 85% clean, and towelling themselves off. And this is when the fun really begins...
Juni "Mommy...he has a little bellybutton, and I have a big bellybutton."
Friend "Yeah! I like my belly button."
Me "Yes, Juni. Everyone is made different. And both of your belly buttons are adorable."
Juni (pointing to his friend and examining himself) "Mommy...he has a short, skinny pee pee. Mine is long and fat."
Friend "Yeah! And mine is fat right here (lower belly)."
Other mother and I: Absolutely, positively speechless. Not because we couldn't think of anything to say, but because we were both laughing so hard it was physically impossible to speak a single syllable.

No comments:

Post a Comment