Saturday, November 27, 2010

Tree Trimming Tears

I think it's safe to say I'm a highly emotional person. Especially now. My life is one giant ball of stress. And it's the holidays.
I usually decorate the house and tree the day after Thanksgiving. Juni had other plans. He just couldn't wait to set up the tree. So we woke up Thursday morning, and began trimming. And I began crying. Each ornament brought memories. The Grinch that reminded me of my Grandad. Granny's old ornaments. Ornaments from my childhood, my engagement, my college. It was endless. Finally, Juni asked "Mommy! Why you crying?" The only thing I could think to say was "I have no idea, Juni. Your Mommy is a mess today!" Juni answered with "Yep. You a mess every day Mommy."
This one actually didn't make me cry. I made it from a goose egg, and I love it.

I took piano lessons for 10 years. My teacher gave this to me one year. She was extremely patient with me, her least-practicing student.

I made this one from sand and shells I found on my honeymoon in Turks and Caicos. I created it during Hurricane Isabel while watching Hokie football. I cried because my honeymoon was wonderful, and Tech lost that game.

This one makes me cry because it smells. Jasen insists on putting this lobster tail on the tree year after year. Yuck.

Juni's hand from school last year. Of course I cried...who wouldn't?

One of my Granny's ornaments. I cried because I miss her every day.

This one started the whole crying spree. I made it for Shelby when she was a puppy.

One of my Mom's ornaments hung underneath one of Granny's. And you guessed it...more tears!

I'm assuming my Mom made this one. It's from forever ago.


1 comment:

  1. I totally remember that little mouse! And your moms amazing Christmas trees, I'm sure yours is just as stunning. Love you!

    ReplyDelete